Service is a road paved with potential, opportunity, reward, and fulfillment. It’s not a one-way street by any means, and that is the surprising gift for all who give of themselves: the personal satisfaction, the sense of purpose, and the overall feeling of goodness that comes with serving others is like no other path.
When we @CityHeART give to others, we get to share in the joy, take part in the creative process, and receive the peace and love flowing from those whom we serve.
- Every sack lunch, packed with care and packed with the generosity of all who contribute, fills a hungry stomach; but more importantly, each sack lunch offers hope to the hungry, and provides peace of mind for the long day ahead.
- Every harvest, big or small, not only delivers locally grown produce to food banks and shelters across the city, but also builds community among the volunteers who come together to pick the produce by hand, and then share the fruits of their labor with those in need.
- Every art workshop, for kiddos and even for adults, spreads smiles and prompts laughter that can overshadow the monotony of a soup line and uplift the weariness of a heavy heart on the street. Creativity can heal souls and overcome despair.
- Every connection built in the safety of a peer-support group has the power to heal the emotionally wounded, transform darkness into light, and even save a life.
It’s not simple, this thing we are doing here in the City of Long Beach. We are a small but mighty, all-volunteer team of dreamers in a community where anything is possible. We are learning, we are working, and we are “wholeheartedly loving our city and telling its stories.”
And we can’t do it alone.
Every little bit of support, monetary or otherwise, takes us a little bit closer to our vision of a multipurpose, non-profit collective that can serve those in need in our city with the most effective impact for the betterment of our neighbors in need.
Feeding Long Beach @ CityHeART does this amazing thing every Tuesday … we call it:
SACK LUNCH TUESDAY ❤
At Sack Lunch Tuesday, we assemble 100 or more sack lunches complete with produce, snacks, a sandwich, and a water; Beacon for Him in Long Beach opens its doors to the homeless when the lunches are good to go, and then we hand them out one by one. It’s a truly wonderful way to spend a Tuesday, and we would love to have you join us as a volunteer!
Can’t make it on a Tuesday?
There are so many other ways to support Feeding Long Beach @CityHeART:
- Donate items for the lunches!
- email FeedingLongBeach@ourcityheart.org to coordinate a drop-off/pick-up;
- mail donations to us: 2201 E. Willow St Suite D #301 Signal Hill, CA 90755
- Support us with a monetary gift!
- Spread the word! When you share our mission with your friends and family, they too have the opportunity to join us!
What’s Coming up for Feeding Long Beach @CityHeART?!
SCHOOL ON WHEELS!
Spotlight on Feeding Long Beach @CityHeART Program Director, Heather Rodgers!
There are so many things to be proud about in the beautiful City of Long Beach. We are so happy to be building our outreach organization in a community that is filled with lovely people who celebrate one another’s diversity and equality ❤
In the aftermath of a beautiful Long Beach Pride weekend, join Connect! and Auspicious Arts at the LGBTQ Center Tuesday, May 23, from 6-9 pm for a self-care workshop! CityHeART aims to “wholeheARTedly love our city and tell its stories,” and we do that through a handful of unique service programs. These two CityHeART programs have put together a workshop that teaches YOU how to love yourself! AND as a special treat, Harvest Partners LB will be serving grapefruit tonics made from locally grown and harvested grapefruits!! ❤
What did CityHeART do over the weekend?
HeARTsy kicked it off on Friday afternoon with an awesome Love Your Selfie art workshop for children at Century Villages at Cabrillo.
Feeding Long Beach served a hot spaghetti dinner to the children and their families after the art workshop wrapped up!
Connect! led its weekly women’s group meeting at Beacon for him ❤
On Saturday morning, Harvest Partners LB led its weekly harvest!
Thank you to all the many volunteers and donors who continue to support our mission and help us do what we do!
Last month, HeARTsy led a spring-themed workshop, and everyone painted beautiful gardens and flowers! Feeding Long Beach brought a pizza dinner paid for by donors who support our mission. It was a beautiful afternoon.
This Friday, at 3:30 p.m., HeARTsy will lead a Love Your Selfie workshop with the kiddos, and Feeding Long Beach will serve a pasta dinner for the participating families between 5:30-6 p.m.
This monthly project serves about 20 people living in affordable housing at Century Villages — we would love to see these numbers grow!
How can you help?
- Volunteer to lead art workshops!
- Help us by donating a meal!
- Sponsor the monthly project with a financial contribution!